I’ve had a lifelong interest in consumer technology and have proven talents as a problem solver, programmer, analyst, writer, and collaborator. I currently work at Google in Seattle, Washington as a Software Engineer on Google Compute Engine. Before starting at Google, I received my B.S. in computer science summa cum laude from Tufts University in Medford, MA in May 2017. I have previously worked as a software engineering intern at Apple (macOS Performance) and Nordstrom (Ecommerce Feature Development).
Education is especially important to me, and I’ve been very fortunate to go to some excellent schools and programs throughout my life. These include The Bush School, Sanborn Western Camps, High Mountain Institute, and Tufts University.
I have a considerable interest in consumer and popular culture, so in my free time I tend to read a lot news, mostly focused on technology, gaming, music and professional sports. I like to write about exciting developments in the technology space, and I am often eager to write a review of some piece of media I've recently consumed. In my free time, I love seeing live music, spending time in the outdoors, watching documentaries, and following Seattle sports teams, especially the Sounders.
You can see my résumé here.
My work has been featured on various websites. Below are some cool ones:
- Top 10 of Hacker News, 5/16/15
- Mashable: Windows 10 seems to run faster than OS X on the new MacBook
- ZDNet: Windows 10 "unequivocally better" than OS X on Apple's new MacBook
- BGR: Windows 10 gets installed on the 12-inch Retina MacBook… and it runs better than OS X
- Engadget.de: Das neue MacBook soll mit Windows 10 flüssiger laufen als mit OS X
- Onliner.by: Новый MacBook лучше работает на Windows 10, чем на OS X
- Techrum.vn: Windows 10 được cài đặt trên Macbook 12 inch chạy mượt hơn cả OS X?
- Gori.me: 12インチ型MacBook、一部アニメーションが「OS X Yosemite」より「Windows 10」の方がスムーズに動作することが発覚
Selected Written Works
- Probabilistic Language-Agnostic Word Segmentation (May 2016): An analysis of a probabilistic dynamic programming approach to word segmentation, which is a key task in natural language processing. My design segmented over 99% of English words correctly and 90% of English sentences perfectly. I think this one came out particularly well.
- Everything I Know about Philosophy I Learned from Conway’s Game of Life (May 2016): A fun essay about the hypothetical philosophical implications of Conway's Game of Life, irresponsibly ignoring the possibility of quantum states but otherwise sticking to recent research in neuroscience, computational theory, and machine learning. I was grateful to be instructed by the great Daniel Dennett.
- Total Control: A Survey of Modern Video Game Controller Design Considerations (December 2015): A survey of pertinent research covering the ergonomics and effectiveness of video game controllers. The paper examines three main dimensions of controller quality: naturalness, pointing performance, and comfort.
- My latest thoughts are always available on my blog on this site.
About This Site
This website is built using Flask and Flask-FlatPages. FlatPages makes it easy for me to write content in Markdown and have it reflected on the site with minimal effort. I host on Google App Engine. Prior to this setup, I hosted on Heroku, and prior to knowing any web development at all, I used Squarespace.
I'm an employee of Google, and a lot of my writing touches on the tech industry, including Google and its competitors. It's clear from my writing that I tend to purchase and prefer Apple products over Google products. It should go without saying that all shared opinions are my own and do not reflect any public opinion of my employer. I aim to be impartial in all of my writing here, and that includes celebrating and critiquing companies where I see fit.